Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Going to Army Basic next month and am worried
Jan 15, 2013

I may have been exposed to the virus in October 2012. I went through initial entrance processing at MEPS and tested neg on my test but it was so soon maybe 3-4 weeks after so i don't trust the results. So i'm already sworn in to the army and am leaving next month.

I know they blood test you again when you get to reception before you actually start basic. also that you can't be positive when you enlist. my question is since i am already enlisted, just not done with basic would they be able to kick me out if i test positive at reception.

They don't really make this clear on their rules regarding HIV.

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear Writer,

As a lawyer I am not qualified to answer questions about the time-frame of transmission and test results. So allow me to explain the United States Army policy on HIV infected soldiers.

Enlisted soldiers in the Army may be tested for HIV. Army regulations hold that an HIV positive soldier may not be deployed into active duty service. If a deployed soldier tests positive for HIV, he or she is not discharged completely from service. Rather they will be reassigned or deployed from active duty and their service will be limited within the United States. So based on my reading of Army regulations you would not be "kicked out" if you test positive for HIV, but your service will be limited. You would also have to undergo confidential medical follow up.

Definitely check out the Department of Defense website for the Army's regulations regarding HIV infected soldiers, linked below. Also check out thebody.com's resource section on the U.S. Military & HIV/AIDS.

I wish you good luck. And thank you, indeed, for your service!

Army Regulation 600-110 - Washington Headquarters Services

Previous
How to answer Continuing Disability Review SSA-454-BK
Next
Pharmacy gave me the wrong medications!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.