Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

Going to Army Basic next month and am worried

I may have been exposed to the virus in October 2012. I went through initial entrance processing at MEPS and tested neg on my test but it was so soon maybe 3-4 weeks after so i don't trust the results. So i'm already sworn in to the army and am leaving next month.

I know they blood test you again when you get to reception before you actually start basic. also that you can't be positive when you enlist. my question is since i am already enlisted, just not done with basic would they be able to kick me out if i test positive at reception.

They don't really make this clear on their rules regarding HIV.

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear Writer,

As a lawyer I am not qualified to answer questions about the time-frame of transmission and test results. So allow me to explain the United States Army policy on HIV infected soldiers.

Enlisted soldiers in the Army may be tested for HIV. Army regulations hold that an HIV positive soldier may not be deployed into active duty service. If a deployed soldier tests positive for HIV, he or she is not discharged completely from service. Rather they will be reassigned or deployed from active duty and their service will be limited within the United States. So based on my reading of Army regulations you would not be "kicked out" if you test positive for HIV, but your service will be limited. You would also have to undergo confidential medical follow up.

Definitely check out the Department of Defense website for the Army's regulations regarding HIV infected soldiers, linked below. Also check out thebody.com's resource section on the U.S. Military & HIV/AIDS.

I wish you good luck. And thank you, indeed, for your service!

Army Regulation 600-110 - Washington Headquarters Services

How to answer Continuing Disability Review SSA-454-BK
Pharmacy gave me the wrong medications!