Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

Nurse told media I was HIV Positive

Do I have any remedy against a nurse who told the media i was hiv positive? I was admitted to the ER after a PTSD episode and the nurse falsely claimed I spit at her. The charges were dropped nolle pros in illinois, however, the damage is irrepairable.

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear Writer,

Depending on the factual circumstances of your case, you may be able to bring a claim for defamation or privacy tort claim. I advise you to immediately contact the AIDS Legal Council of Chicago who may be able to advise you or at least refer you to a private attorney. The AIDS Legal Council of Chicago provides legal assistance in cases where an individual's HIV status, real or perceived, is the cause of his or her legal difficulties. While most of the AIDS Legal Council's clients reside in Cook County, they encourage HIV positive people living anywhere in Illinois to contact them with legal questions. I wish you all the best.

AIDS Legal Council of Chicago

Access to lab results
Qualifying for Social Security Disability Benefits?