Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nurse told media I was HIV Positive
Jan 2, 2013

Do I have any remedy against a nurse who told the media i was hiv positive? I was admitted to the ER after a PTSD episode and the nurse falsely claimed I spit at her. The charges were dropped nolle pros in illinois, however, the damage is irrepairable.

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear Writer,

Depending on the factual circumstances of your case, you may be able to bring a claim for defamation or privacy tort claim. I advise you to immediately contact the AIDS Legal Council of Chicago who may be able to advise you or at least refer you to a private attorney. The AIDS Legal Council of Chicago provides legal assistance in cases where an individual's HIV status, real or perceived, is the cause of his or her legal difficulties. While most of the AIDS Legal Council's clients reside in Cook County, they encourage HIV positive people living anywhere in Illinois to contact them with legal questions. I wish you all the best.

AIDS Legal Council of Chicago

Previous
Access to lab results
Next
Qualifying for Social Security Disability Benefits?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.