Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Access to lab results
Jan 2, 2013

I have been trying to get Quest Diagnostics to send me a copy of my lab results. My former doctor is no longer practicing. I sent the form to release result in July. They keep giving different a story and sending me back and forth to different departments. Does the law state they have thirty days to send the information to me? Why are they making it difficult? Any suggestions. I live in Georgia in case that is needed.

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear Writer,

Thank you for this question. Under Georgia's Patient Records Law, patients have the right to access their medical records, including labratory reports, directly from their doctor or hospital. Quest Diagnostics appears to interpret this statute as NOT authorizing release of test results directly to patients. Therefore you must appeal directly to a Quest Privacy Officer for your results. From your query it appears as though you have already submitted the requisite "Patient Request to Access or Disclose Laboratory Test Results" form. You should send a supplemental written (and notarized) request to compel release of your records; in your written request you can explain the circumstances of your physician retiring and your medical need for your results. Please note that you may be charged an administrative fee for this information. Last, I see no statutory requirement that mandates release of your records within a 30 day time-frame. If you have no success in accessing your records after a reasonable amount of time, I advise you to seek the assistance of an advocate within Georgia's Department Public Health HIV Unit. Please check the link below to find a regional branch of this agency. I wish you good luck.

Georgia Statewide HIV Care & Service Providers

Previous
Am I legally responsible in telling my patient's HIV status to his intimate significant other?
Next
Nurse told media I was HIV Positive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.