Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

Access to lab results

I have been trying to get Quest Diagnostics to send me a copy of my lab results. My former doctor is no longer practicing. I sent the form to release result in July. They keep giving different a story and sending me back and forth to different departments. Does the law state they have thirty days to send the information to me? Why are they making it difficult? Any suggestions. I live in Georgia in case that is needed.

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear Writer,

Thank you for this question. Under Georgia's Patient Records Law, patients have the right to access their medical records, including labratory reports, directly from their doctor or hospital. Quest Diagnostics appears to interpret this statute as NOT authorizing release of test results directly to patients. Therefore you must appeal directly to a Quest Privacy Officer for your results. From your query it appears as though you have already submitted the requisite "Patient Request to Access or Disclose Laboratory Test Results" form. You should send a supplemental written (and notarized) request to compel release of your records; in your written request you can explain the circumstances of your physician retiring and your medical need for your results. Please note that you may be charged an administrative fee for this information. Last, I see no statutory requirement that mandates release of your records within a 30 day time-frame. If you have no success in accessing your records after a reasonable amount of time, I advise you to seek the assistance of an advocate within Georgia's Department Public Health HIV Unit. Please check the link below to find a regional branch of this agency. I wish you good luck.

Georgia Statewide HIV Care & Service Providers

Am I legally responsible in telling my patient's HIV status to his intimate significant other?
Nurse told media I was HIV Positive