Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

Considering cosmetic surgery & disclosure

Hi Christa, I live in California, hiv+ 2years plus, healthy *& undetec and want to go in for a chin implant and eyelid surgery. Am I obligated to disclose my hiv status to my plastic surgeon? Thank you for your time.

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear Writer,

Thanks for writing in. I would say yes, you should disclose your HIV positive status to the surgeon conducting your eyelid surgery and chin implant. In at least one state (New York), a court has held that a legal duty exists requiring patients aware of their HIV-positive status to disclose their condition to a physician conducting an invasive bodily procedure.

It is critical for you to know that federal and state laws prohibit your surgeon and his or her staff from re-disclosing your health information without your informed consent. So if you do disclose, this surgeon's office will be legally mandated to maintain your confidentiality.

Best of luck to you.

Marinol. And employment drug testing?
Will I lose My Job because of my criminal record? caused by my HIV diagnosis?