Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Full Blown AIDS and Forced Back to Work
Jul 3, 2012

How can a person with a 170 cd4 count and Histplasmosis be sent back to work and disability benefits terminated? I was told I could perform my teaching duties without restrictions. I m still taking Sporanox for histoplasmosis.

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear Writer, thank you for writing in.

I assume you mean that your Social Security Disability (SSDI) benefits were terminated.

If you feel that you are simply too impaired to perform full-time work you should request reconsideration of the denial and/or a hearing with an Administrative Law Judge to appeal the denial. Importantly, you must submit your appeal in writing within 60 days of the denial. You can file an appeal by walking into your local Social Security Administration office or you can download the form on ssa.gov. If you are appealing beyond the 60 day window, you should submit a new claim ASAP.

Claims for SSDI are adjudicated largely on your medical records. To get the best possible outcome on your claim, be sure to maintain your regular doctor's appointments and keep your medical providers updated about how you feel. This will guarantee your medical records, clinical progress notes, test results, etc., are up-to-date and accurately reflect your condition. You must also advise Social Security of ALL of your health care providers. Social Security has the duty to develop your medical records, so make SSA has each and every source of your medical treatment.

Please check out one of my earlier posts, linked below, for additional information on this important topic. Good luck to you and stay strong.

Permanent disability claim

Previous
Is my court file, which references my HIV status, a matter of public record?
Next
School and SSDI

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.