Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can my medical records come out in my girlfriend's court case?
Mar 27, 2012

I was just diagnosed hiv positive, my girlfriend is neg. She is going through a divorce and custody battle, can this come out, or are my medical records private?

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear Writer,

Thank you for writing with your question. First, while I do not know the particular facts of your girlfriend's pending court cases, I will say that your HIV status sounds wholly irrelevant to, and should have no bearing on, her custody and matrimonial proceedings.

Second, yes, your medical records are private, confidential and protected from impermissible disclosure under the federal health privacy law (HIPAA). Some states also have specific confidentiality statutes protecting the privacy of your HIV information. Generally, a hospital/medical provider cannot release your medical records without your written, informed consent. To read more about federal and state protections of confidential HIV-related information, check out the great information available from the organizations below.

Legal Action Center

Center for HIV Law and Policy

Previous
Addisons disease , HIV AND HEPC
Next
As an HIV positive health care worker do I have to disclose?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.