Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

risks on living with someone with hiv

I have hiv 1210 cd4 less than 20 viral load my roommates family feels like she and her at family are at risk what should I tell them to ease their worry?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

I'm sorry that you are in this situation. I would tell your roommate that perhaps she needs to help educate her family on how HIV is, and is not transmitted.

HIV is not transmitted through casual contact. Sharing a home with someone is not a risk for HIV. Sharing a glass, eating utensil, or the same bathroom does not put you at risk for HIV.

To be at risk for HIV you must come into contact with one of the four fluids that transmits the virus. Those four fluids are blood, semen, vaginal secretions, or breast milk. Furthermore, you must come into contact with one of these fluids in a manner which facilitates transmission. Sharing needles and unprotected penetrative sex are the two main ways that HIV is transmitted.

Further information on how HIV is transmitted can be found here.

Your low viral load makes you you infectious, but this would only be a factor when transmission was a possibility. In the case of casual contact, a person's viral load is irrelevant because HIV is not transmitted through casual contact.

If your roommate's family continues to allow their ignorance to take center stage, and your roommate cannot keep them in check, then it might be time for a new roommate.

It's bad enough that we (as HIV positive people) have to deal with disclosure and rejection in our intimate relationships. You certainly don't have to put up with it in a situation like this.

In health,

Richard

Moving to USA from UK
discrimination at work?