Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Right to work with HIV?
Feb 15, 2012

Hello, My son was just recently diagnosed with HIV. He is a mnager for a popular fast food chain and works for "franchise. Out of loyalty he informed his boss of the diagnosis who has since put him on hold to "check" with his legal department as to whether he can remain employed....Oh my goodness, he isnt around knives of any kind, he doesnt risk infecting anyone because he is really a paper ousher and manager....CAN THEY DO THIS/

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear Writer,

No, they can absolutely not do this. The fast food chain employing your son is governed by federal and state anti-discrimination law which prevents exactly this kind of prejudicial treatment. HIV positive status qualifies employees for protection under disability discrimination laws. Your son's employer cannot take an adverse action against him just because of his status. Only if one's disabling condition affects his ability to perform essential job functions can an employer make an issue out of the disability, but he still cannot suspend him. He would have to offer a "Reasonable Accommodation," an adjustment to the job so he could keep working. Your story is especially alarming as you say the employer is a popular franchise and is trained on sanitation protocol applicable to all employees. Your son deserves an apology and is entitled to relief. He can file a complaint with the state Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or talk to a lawyer about bringing a lawsuit for damages/reinstatement in state or federal court. Good luck to you and your son.

Previous
My sisters have disclosed my status to anyone and everyone they speak too
Next
just plain uncomfortable with job search

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.