Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

MMR /Flu shot/pnuemovax
Dec 2, 2001

dear dr. mark, I found out I am positive Oct. 10, but before that I had an MMR immunization. Would it be a danger to me having a live vaccine shot, since I am positive? I had my Flu shot/Pnuemovax last Nov. 8 and they withdarw blood for my VL/CD4 on Nov. 12. My CD4 580 and VL 510. Now, would that MMR a month ago and flu shot and pnuemovax has affected my VL/CD4 count? do you think my numbers has been affected by the shots?

1) How is my numbers VL/CD4 without meds. I think my CD4 is a bit low compared to others.

2) how long do you think I will start my therapy. would it take months or years?

3) do you think there will be a cure in 10-15 years?

4) since the normal CD4 is 500-1500, so do you think people who are at close to higher range are more protected than people with normal but low CD4? or it's just the same.

thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although vaccinations can affect viral load and CD4 levels transiently, it is not clear what your CD4 count and viral load were prior to the vaccination to know the full extent of the effect. Your numbers indicate and very good immune response and containment of viral replication. You do not currently need to start treatment. When treatment might be necessary can only be answered by following your numbers over time. I don't believe there will be a cure, but medication regimens will be simpler and with much less side effects. As long as your immune system is intact, you do as well with lower compared to higher CD4 counts. MH

Previous
HOW GOOD IS MY IMMUNE SYSTEM 2...
Next
viral load decreases while t-cell remains the same..taking noe meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.