Oct 29, 2001
Dear Dr. Holodniy, If HIV infection were present, would if be possible to culture it from blood? Do you have any idea on the usefulness of viral culture as an adjunct to diagnosing HIV?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
HIV can be cultured from the blood. It can be found as both free virus in blood plasma and in blood lymphocytes. This is not a test that is usually commercially available. There are some technical limitations. I would not recommend it.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Ache In Testicles After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Bloody Pee After Blowjob Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Urethra After Touching Dried Semen Worried I Have HIV
- Cold Feet After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Erectile Dysfunction After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Hairy Tongue After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.