A treatment failure?

Dear Dr. Holodniy,

I have been on Sustiva, Epivir, and Zerit for around a year now. I was undetectable until 5 mos ago. About that time I had a VL of 400, and 3 mos later a VL of just over 600. A Cd4 count hasnt been done in about a year. That was around 900. I wanted to change the cocktail, but my Dr. says I can still get some use from this cocktail even in a slow VL increase. DO you agree with this? If not, what would be a good next choice of drugs? I was on Viracept briefly, but quit due to the craps! Also, I was on combivir briefly, but quit due to anemia setting in. Thanks for all your good work! IN FLORIDA.

We are evolving our concept about these discordant responses (detectable viral loads with stable CD4 counts). It may well be true that you have a resistant virus now that is less fit and doesn't replicate and kill t cells as well. It is not unreasonable to stay on this regimen and follow both viral load and CD4 count closely. I have several patients in the clinic in this situation. If the CD4 count/percentage begins to drop, or the viral load increases, I would change. It sounds like your protease inhibitor exposure was short. If you need to change, I would use another PI or combo PI as the backbone and discontinue the sustiva and epivir as resistance to those two would be highly likely.

MH

Sudden jump in viral load...
undetectable since 94????