Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Variation in VL for the newly infected
Jul 28, 2000

Dr. Holodniy,

I'm not sure exactly when I was infected, but I was diagnosed HIV-positive in mid-June. My first VL count was 358,000. What causes the difference between numbers like that and the people with counts below, say, 100? For example, would my count have been lower if I had tested sooner? (I waited a year after my last HIV test.) Does a higher count mean that the person who infected me was sicker, further along in the disease? Thanks for this forum.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

We don't exactly know what determines the viral load that people end up with after antibodies develop. It's more related to you and not the person where you got the virus from.We do know that after acute infection and before antibodies develop, viral load levels are very high (100,000 to over a million). Everybody's immune system is somewhat different. Some people develop an efficient immune response (cytotoxic t cells) that contain viral replication, and some people don't. MH

Previous
Is any VL under 50 Undetectable?
Next
Non-detectable viral load

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.