VIRAL LOAD..1350..HIGH OR LOW?

Dear Doc

My boyfriend tested positive 4 months 4 months ago and his viral load was 1350. I do not understand what is high and low. I have tested negative and I do not understand, could this be that his viral load is too low and less risky?

Thank you

A viral load of 1350 would be considered low. Current level of detection ranges from 50-1,000,000 copies, although higher levels have been reported. The higher the viral load, the greater the risk of disease progression and risk for transmission. Some recent data from Uganda found that in discordant couples (one positive, one negative), that HIV transmission was unlikely when the viral load was < 1,500. You are lucky. I would not assume based on this study that you are at NO risk. Be safe and use condoms.

MH

Genotype and Phenotype determine medication prescribed
cd4 and cd8 increase at the same time?