Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

viral load undetectable cd4 count going down
Aug 23, 2000

my husband is currently on viracept, epivir and ziagen. his viral load is undetectable but in march his cd4 count was almost 400 and now in august it is down to 287. should there be reason for concern? his cholesterol has skyrocketed even with meds -- should this also be a concern? he is 53.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It sounds like he has had a great response. The cholesterol increase could be the result of the viracept. Although the CD4 count decrease could be concerning, I wouldn't react to one number. I would like to see a follow-up CD4 count and percentage. Many times we see blips in the counts, only to see them return back to the previous level.

MH

Previous
Relatively Low Viral Load
Next
Medication resistant HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.