WHATS the difference???

I guessI have developed resistance to my current regimen which is composed of crix+epivir+retrovir,andI have discussed with my doc to change the drugs but before hat we need a test. so I was told to choose between the genotype one and the phenotype, which one is better?at the same time considering the periodI will wait for the results, cant this give a virus more chance to develop? of course am continuing the old regimen even thoughI feel it is not doing me any good,please doctors, educate me on which one is better.

We don't have lots of data yet to suggest that one test is "better" than the other. Some of the decision is based on price, insurance coverage (or who is paying), and provider experience and comfort in interpreting the results. One could also argue that if those are the only three drugs you have ever been on, that an experienced HIV doctor could recommend a change without requiring a resistance test. However, if you have been on several drugs in the past as well, a resistance test might be helpful sorting it out.

MH

Switching regimen
48 and Scared to Death Again Again and NOT AGAIN!!