Sep 18, 2000
I have read that 99.8% of HIV RNA is non infectious.If this is so, then non-infectious HIV is the source of RNA and proteins (including protease) from which the genetics and other characteristics of HIV are derived. This strikes me as problematical. Since non-infectious viruses are meaningless clinically, the data derived from them would be likewise. What is the significance of the non-infectious HIV?
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
You maybe correct to a point. We however know that people with a viral load of 100,000 progress more quickly than people with a viral load of 1,000. Even if 98% of the virus is defective, the actual number derived from the viral load test has been validated to provide us with useful number line from which to gauge prognosis and therapy response.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blowjob From A Prostitute And Possible HIV Exposure
- Fever After Receptive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Hairy Tongue After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Loose Stool After Protected Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Red Spots After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Swallowing Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.