VIRAL LOAD

I'M HIV+ AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT WAS MADE A VIRAL LOAD TO ME. TODAY I PICK IT UP THE RESULTS BUT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT. THE RESULTS IS AS FOLLOWS: CD4 (HELPER CELLS) 15 L CD4+ CELLS 231 L VIRAL LOAD: RNA QUANTITATIVE bDNA, 3RD GENERATION COPIES/ML (VERSION 3.0) 2920 H COPIES/ML LOGCOPIES/ML (VERSION 3.0) 3.47 H LOGCOPIES/ML REFERENCE RANGE: LESS THAN 1.7 PLEASE BE SO KIND AND EXPLAIN ME WHAT'S MEAN THIS. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Your CD4 count and percentage are moderately low. By definition, you DO NOT have AIDS. That requires a CD4 count of < 200 or 14%. Your viral load is in the low-moderate range. A "normal" viral load (in uninfected people), would be undetectable (< 50 copies/ml, these assays do not have a lower limit that is 0). Many people we see that are receiving treatment for HIV also can have viral loads < 50. The log copies are just another way of stating the same number. The relationship goes like this: 1 log (10 copies), 2 (100), 3 (1,000), 4 (10,000), 5 (100,00) and so on. For you 2,920 copies equals 3.47 log copies.

MH

Viracept vs. Sustiva resistance
genotyping