Lab results after beginning HAART

Dear Dr. H:

This is a followup to my question I posted on 09/07/98 titled-"Why is my VL still so high?". After 4 weeks on Epivir/Viracept/Zerit, my blood looks like this: VL-1,000, down from 166,000. CD4-499, up from 364.. What do these results tell you as a researcher in regards to set point,ad progression and/or regression, or any other thoughts you may have; Thank You.

Excellent Response!! You have had over a 2 log or 100 fold reduction in viral load. Based on some older data (in the AZT/ddI era), a 2 log reduction after 8 weeks of therapy, resulted in a 10-100 fold reduction in the risk to progressing to AIDS in 3 years. We don't have long term clinical outcome data from protease inhibitor studies yet. But I would think the reduction in risk of progression would be even greater. You may see a further reduction in your viral load. It may take up to 24 weeks to get to < 50 copies.

MH

Viral load WAY down
stopping combo therapy when undectable???