p24 antigen and HIV testing positive

Hello, I tested positive in September this year. And one of the bands listed was p24. My question is this. Does this mean that I am still in the seroconversion phase. My understanding was that this would disappear after seroconversion. Also, I was infected in May 1998 for sure. In addition, my VL is 1990 by PCR Assay and CD4 at 46% which probably means very little damage to the immune system at this point. I have elected to go on therapy. DDI, d4t and HU and Sustiva.

Other question is -- if erradication is in theory possible during early infection as opposed to early disease, will I always test positive for HIV (HIV positive status)?

thnx.

No you are not in the seroconversion phase. A p24 band on a western blot, indicates that you have made antibody to p24 antigen. It does not mean that p24 antigen is present in your blood. P24 antibody will be present forever. You are in early chronic infection. Eradication, unfortunately in you, will not occur with the current antiretroviral agents we have available. MH

Does VL indicate how long you've been infected?
T cell and Viral load