Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how reliaiable is the AMPLICOR HIV 1 for C clade?
Sep 27, 1999

Hello and thanks for your expertise and time. I am infected with a non subtype B clade of HIV I, this was confirmed by the national institute of epidemiology in Mexico; my infection occured in Honduras; we dicovered the non subtype B infecction using a different reactive in serology because the subtype B based ELISAS and Western Blots didn't show reactive until we used a special reagent. When running roche's HIV 1 AMPLICOR, it showed less than 25 copies/mm, but when we used the CHIRON bDNA, it showed a viral load of 66,000 copies; my question is, amplicor assay is not accurate because the different clade or is not accurate the CHIRON assay?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The current version of Amplicor does indeed have some difficulties with subtypes A and C. The next generation of Amplicor assay has been modified to allow for detection of these subtypes. Clinical trials with this modification have been published. It should be available soon. Otherwise for treatment now, you may need to use the bDNA assay. MH

Previous
HIV Positive & symptoms already
Next
Contradictions between Viral Load and CD-4

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.