DNA PCR vs. RNA PCR in HIV+ people
Nov 29, 1999
1. If I tested positive on ELISA and undetectable on viral load (RNA PCR till 15 copies) would DNA PCR tell me, how many of my cells are infected per mililiter or only confirm the infection. Because I thought that the DNA PCR also says how many cells are infected per mililiter just like the RNA PCR. 2. Is Roche the only company that has the only manufacturer for this test? 3. Is DNA PCR FDA approved and RNA PCR isn't and what is the reason for that? 4. Is DNA PCR more reliable in diagnosis and why? 5. Some Doctors claim that DNA PCR has more false positives in people with a negative staus, than RNA PCR what is the reason for that ? 6. Is it because the test is run many times and the microscope has to be thouroughly cleaned every time?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
1. Confirm infection. 2. Yes, in terms of commercially available kits, although many labs might use a "home brew" (separately purchased reagents possibly from different vendors). 3. HIV RNA PCR is approved for following treatment and assessing prognosis. Qualitative HIV DNA PCR is approved for diagnosis. 4. HIV RNA PCR is not approved for diagnosis. DNA PCR might get a few more true positives in the very small group who are antibody positive, RNA negative. However, I am always worried that antibody positive and RNA negative people, in the absence of therapy, might be the result of a non type B strain that the current RNA PCR test might be able to detect or quantitate correctly. A bDNA viral load test might actually confirm a much higher viral load. 5. Not sure about your #5. I am not aware of any rigorous studies comparing the false positive rates of RNA and DNA in seronegatives. 6. No microscope is used. Although it may be a contamination issue in the PCR machine. MH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Black Spots After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Muscle Ache After Anal Sex Bottom Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Red Spots After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- 2nd Generation Elisa 3 Months
- Can Having The Flu Interfere With The Hiv Test Results?
- Can Hiv Be Transmitted Through Clothing?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.