The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD8 depleted culture gor new strain

Jan 3, 2000

Dear Dr. MH Merry Christmas and Happy new year!

Here, I want to ask you another question about detecting the new strain of HIV. In your privous post, you ever saying that "Truly HIV-1 infected, with relatively advanced disease, but a strain of virus that is not quantifiable by viral load tests" I read a paper saying that: "As for detecting virus in this situation(some new strains which Elisa & WB can't detect), a standard HIV culture is likely to be negative. What would be more useful would be a highly sensitive, CD8 depleted culture.This is the test that Bob Silicano and others used to show that the reservoir does not go away." Do you think the "CD8 depleted culture" is a definitive method to detect new HIV strain? Can the culture be available in normal hospital?


Best regards!


Response from Dr. Holodniy

HIV culture in general is not available in hospital or even in alot of commercial labs. CD8 depletion will remove certain suppressive effects that limit growing HIV in culture, but that is generally required to coax very small amounts of infectious virus out. That is not the problem with strains that have a different genetic makeup that conventional PCR tests cannot detect. There is usually abundant virus around. MH

Where to go from here?
DNA PCR and Early Treatment Before HIV Seroconversion

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint