Apr 10, 2000
My question is whether I can give up my kidney for my brother while having AIDS, will I pass the virus during the transplantation? Also My viral load has been undetectable and ELISA and DNA PCR undetectable for 3 months after the exposure. Can I rely on these facts and go ahead with the transplantation?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
If you have HIV infection and AIDS, any organ will contain HIV virus, and therefore be transmitted to a recipient. Any transplant team will scrutinize the donor for a variety of diseases including HIV. They will determine whether to use a particular donor or not. It is not clear from your history, whether you are or are not HIV infected.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Sex With A Prostitute How Long Does It Take To Test Positive For AIDS
- Blowjob From A Prostitute And HIV
- Dark Bumps After Sensual Massage Worried I Have HIV
- Painful Urination After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Tingling In Fingers After Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Performing Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.