Viral load down but CD4 also down

Dr. Holodniy:

I learned in November of last year that I am HIV+ but I am not on HIV meds. Here is the pattern of my first 3 tests:

November 1998 - Viral Load: 600 CD4: 530 February 1999 - Viral Load: 300 CD4: 505 May 1999 - Viral Load: 267 CD4: 457 28%

My question is...even though my viral load is falling without treatment, my CD4 is also falling. What is the cause of this and will I have to start meds soon? I have no symptoms or opportunist infections.

Thank you Doctor.

Although it appears that your viral load is falling, these numbers are well within the variation of the assay at these low numbers. Your CD4 count can fluctuate too, depending on the time of day, other meds, immunizations, other concurrent illnesses. The CD4 percentage tends to be a more stable number over time. At those CD4 levels you would not be expected to have any symptoms or OIs. If your CD4 count/percnetage stays up like it is, you could afford to wait to start meds. MH

Viral Rebound
viral load up; what to do next?