|Newly diagnosed and Rotten Numbers
Jun 14, 1999
Hi Doctor Mark!
Six weeks ago i tested HIV+ both with ELISA and Western Blot. Was then given CD4 and Load tests which came back T-cell count 194, and a Load of 68K. My questions are: 1) can the ELISA test ever give false negatives; I tested Negative 3/95 and 9/96.....if not then I was most likely exposed last summer which means that I've had a very fast progression to AIDS. 2) Could the fact that I was a heavy user of Cocaine and Heroin last summer have contributed to this quick onset?? (I've now been in recovery for over eight months) 3) I only sniffed: are there any cases of exposure to HIV via sharing of bloodied straws?? 4) Could my numbers be indicitive of repeated exposure to HIV and will the Geno/Pheno test give us any answers?? Thanks so much for you interest and concern for all of us out here!!!
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
1) yes, but only really during acute infection (first 8 weeks or so); 2)possibly. there is indirect evidence of altered immune function with those drugs; 3)Not to my knowledge; 4) Possibly, but a geno/phenotypic test will only show evidence of drug resistance, not the presence of multiple strains. MH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Which Race/ethnicity Category Has The Highest Number Of Cases Diagnosed With Hiv/aids?
- After Using Pep Is A Three Month Window Period Accurate
- Best Time To Take Truvada
- Can I Get Std From Giving A Women Oral Sex?
- Can You Take Aspirin With Atripla?
- Hiv False Negative And Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.