Newly diagnosed and Rotten Numbers

Hi Doctor Mark!

Six weeks ago i tested HIV+ both with ELISA and Western Blot. Was then given CD4 and Load tests which came back T-cell count 194, and a Load of 68K. My questions are: 1) can the ELISA test ever give false negatives; I tested Negative 3/95 and 9/96.....if not then I was most likely exposed last summer which means that I've had a very fast progression to AIDS. 2) Could the fact that I was a heavy user of Cocaine and Heroin last summer have contributed to this quick onset?? (I've now been in recovery for over eight months) 3) I only sniffed: are there any cases of exposure to HIV via sharing of bloodied straws?? 4) Could my numbers be indicitive of repeated exposure to HIV and will the Geno/Pheno test give us any answers?? Thanks so much for you interest and concern for all of us out here!!!

1) yes, but only really during acute infection (first 8 weeks or so); 2)possibly. there is indirect evidence of altered immune function with those drugs; 3)Not to my knowledge; 4) Possibly, but a geno/phenotypic test will only show evidence of drug resistance, not the presence of multiple strains. MH

My initial results:
Can't get below 1500VL after a year