Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

catching a multiple drug resistant strain
Aug 5, 1999

Dear Doctor, I caught a multiple drug resistant strain of hiv. My doctor says that I am resistant to most drugs available and that starting now would be a waste of money and health since I feel healthy now. It has been 4 months since exposure and am wondering what the chances are that I can start on a drug regimen that will work, or in other words when and how soon are new drugs going to be available that are targeted at resistant strains of hiv? When are ABT 378 and tripnovar going to be available and ARE they as good as advertised to target resistant strains? Any new NNRTI's that are successful in treating current resistant NNRTI's in the near future? I want to be positive about living, but it's hard because I have no options right now and future drugs aren't coming along quickly. If possible could you give me a list of new drugs coming and how bright they look for someone like myself. By the way, I heard T-20 develops resistance in a few weeks when given by itself. Does this mean that it is a failure or that it CAN be used in LONGTERM (meaning many years) treatment with HAART? Any hope for me, the newly infected with multi-strain resistance to live 40 more years???? t-cells are 670, viral load 40,000. Thank you so much for your personal time on the net in answering not only mine, but all concerned questions.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I would look to the treatment forum. ABT378 is in phase 2 studies. The answer is not in yet on its potential use in PI resistant virus. Other second generation NNRTIs and other drugs are making way to study. MH

Previous
resistance time predicts success?
Next
To treat or not to treat

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.