infected with both HIV & hep. C

I am a long term surviver of HIV, 13 years, mo meds, low viral load, t cells in the 900-1200 range. I don't want to disturb my HIV by taking any drugs that will make it mutate. Unfortunately, I also have hepititis c and my viral load for that 9 months ago was 2 million, liver inflamed and sustaining damage; but strangely, enzimes only slightly elevated. A couple months ago I was prescribed Amantadine because I am afraid to take the Interferon treatment. My viral load for the HCV is now at 1 million, a nice improvement but my doctor can't really say if it was from the Amantadine because the origonal test was done 9 months back, so I have to take it again even though I am having some nasty side effects. The real problem I have is that the doctors can't even tell me if this treatment is going to make my HIV drug resistant (if I ever need drugs for HIV) or if it will cause my HIV to mutate and become more harmful to my imune system. I know you can't give "medical advise" but PLEASE find out if Amantidine effects the HIV in anyway, I am really worried about waking up this sleeping tiger in my blood....

It is not entirely clear how amantadine works against flu virus or HCV. The published literature suggests that amantadine has NO activity against HIV. Therefore, as far as we know, there should be no HIV resistance problem. MH

RE:When/if to start meds to avoid resistance
ITP, Cirhhosis, Hep C and T-Cell/Viral Load Counts