The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Oct 4, 1999

I was infected in February of 1998, my numbers follow:

CD4 T4/T8 VL

April of 1998 1060 2.7 <400

May of 1998 960 2.5 <400

July of 1998 610 2.3 <400

August 1998 890 2.5 <400

November 1998 1065 2.3 < 50

February 1999 1050 2.3 < 50

May 1999 1170 2.1 <200

August 1999 na na <400

September 1999 finally seroconverted at 19 months from exposure with HIV-1 screen as confirmed by western blot. Awaiting new t-cell and viral load.

In view of this history which is fully documented I have two questions:

- when should I start therapy to reduce symptoms since my body has been fighting this thing alone for a long time without help?

- does the long seroconversion plus undetectable viral loads for so long and a decent t-cell count with no therapy suggest that I could be a long term non-progressor?

I am 59 years old, 6'1", 250 lbs. Symptomatic but somehow less fatigue since seroconversion although my lymph nodes are burning all day and require pain medication. Had diarrhea for 3 months now under control.

Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Given those numbers, it would suggest you are demonstrating sufficient immunologic containment of HIV and may very well be a nonprogressor. Some would also say that with those numbers, you can afford to wait and not start antiretroviral therapy.


What to do
vl progress..

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint