Should I Stop

Been on the same combination for going on 4 years. (combivir, Fortavase ) I have always been undectable. >10,000 >400 >50 >15. Also have psoritic Arthritis (another auto-immune problem.) My question to you is can I take a 3 month vacation from these meds without any large risk . I realize that I will see a large change in the numbers. But shouldnt I be able to return to the same combo provided that I stop them all at once. I have no side effects to speak of and have no trouble with adherence. I am concerned that my body may need a rest. With the other strong meds for Arthitis if its safe I would like to stop. My Doctor is of the opinion "leave well enough alone" What would you suggest? Thank you for you time.

Your question is one of great debate currently. Studies are being planned to ask the question can we safely do drug holidays and for how long. There are anecdotal reports of stopping and viral loads staying undectable and/or CD4 counts remaining high. You are theorectically correct, in that you should be able to go back to the same regimen. I know continued adherence is tough, but I think I am with your doc on this one, unless you do it under the control of a study.

MH

Severe Peripheral Neuropathy.
First Therapy Resistance?