Severe Peripheral Neuropathy.

Dear Professor Mark, I have been on anti virals for over 18 months now.( Combivir and Neviripine). My viral load at diagnosis,also 18 months ago,was 200000 and my Cd4 count was 500. I had very painful feet when I was diagnosed and I had to take a morphine based pain killer to suppress the pain.After a few weeks on the anti-virals the extreme aching pain in my feet subsided and the pain killer was stopped.However the numbness, cramp and pins/needles have persisted despite the viral load becoming undetectable and the Cd4s in excess of 1000.I would have expected the neuropathy to have also subsided with the improvement.I am thinking of taking a drug holiday to see if it is not the meds but I believe that the combination I am on is the least one likely to contribute to the condition. Please would you let me have your most valued advice,as the neuropathy is very inhibitive to my general well being. THANK YOU.

I would agree that the regimen you are on would be unlikely to cause neuropathy. I don't think I would recommend a drug holiday in this situation. You don't say whether you have consulted with a neurologist, or tried specific drugs which have been successful in HIV associated neuropathy (gabapentin, amitriptyline, etc). MH

Hit early or wait?
Should I Stop