Hit early or wait?

Hi doctor,

I tested positive two weeks ago - VL 1800, CD4 437 - I tested negative in August 1999, so the infection is relatively recent. My physician has discussed the pros and cons of starting therapy early ("hit hard - hit early") vs. waiting until I "need" it. What's your current thinking? Thanks!

You would be considered in that group which has low to moderate risk of progression in the absence of treatment. Since you are in the early chronic phase, I might be inclined to wait and check your numbers again in 3 months to see what the trend is. You may not be at a steady state yet. It is possible your CD4 count may go up a bit and the viral load may also fluctuate. MH

RNA Viral Load and CD4 Count
Severe Peripheral Neuropathy.