Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What should I expect?, please respond
Dec 17, 1999

Dear Dr.

First of all thanks for your collaboration to all us who are dealing with this disease. On Sept 15 I started meds with a VL of 250,000 and CD4s 50, after my 4 weeks check up my VL went down to 1,000 and CD4s up to 110, by the way I'm on Viracept and Combivir. My doctor was very pleased for my results, now What are the odds for me to achieve maximum viral control (VL<50)?, is that really a good predictor of my treatment success?, How good is Viracept, I haven't found a lot of information about it on the internet?

please respond I live in a small comunity and is very hard to have expert information.

Kind Regards,

JG

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You have had a great response to treatment. It may take up to 6 months to get down to < 50 copies/ml. Viral load is a very good predictor of short term (1-2 year) treatment response. Thousands of people have used nelfinavir (viracept) successfully. The FDA recently approved twice daily dosing in addition to the three time per day dosing that was originally approved. If you are not already on the twice daily dosing you may want to change.

MH

Previous
After 16 weeks of HAART viral load still not undetectable
Next
Treatment Dilemma

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.