Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

After 16 weeks of HAART viral load still not undetectable
Dec 17, 1999

I started HAART in August. I am taking Sustiva, Zerit, Viracept, and Videx. At first the viral load dropped really fast but now is barely dropping at all. I have not missed a single dose of my medications. At the start of treatment my viral load was 270,000 and CD4 count was 180. My viral load is now 100 and CD4 count has been as high as 350 and is now 298 after starting Hydroxyurea. What should I expect? At what point should I be concerned? Also, I tested negative in September of 1998 and tested positive in July of 1999. Is a viral load of 270,000 typical in such a circumstance? Is that a cause for concern? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Some recent data suggests it may take as long as 6 months to get to < 50 copies/ml. I think you are still in great shape at this point. A viral load of 270,000/ml in you may reflect the fact that you were within a few months of seroconversion, and as such still had very high levels because of acute infection.

MH

Previous
Low CD4 and VL values
Next
What should I expect?, please respond

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.