Severe Neuropathy(cont'd)

Dear Dr.Holodniy, I have tried the anti seisure drugs that you quote in your reply.And the Neurologist is of the opinion that the Myelin sheath that protects the nerves may have been damaged by the virus and that the protection,akin to the plastic insulation around electrical wire,may take some time to rejuvenate.But that was 18 months ago and there is no improvement in the Neuropathy despite excellent restoration of Cd4's and reduction of viral load. As you recommend that I do not go on a drug vacation,I am thinking instead of substituting the Combivir with Abacavir for a few months to see if there is an improvement.I will carry on with the Neviripine. Is this a prudent plan? Will my viral load begin to show its ugly head once again? I know that the substitute drug is very potent but is it a suitable replacement for AZT and 3TC? I will try anything to get rid of the Neuropathy.Please tell me what you think.THANKS

I cna't recall whether your viral load was undetectable or not. If so, then that would be the best time to switch. Abacavir would be a very potent and suitable alternative to AZT/3TC. MH

RNA 60,000 cd4's 143 - post t/ment cd 250 RNA 400
Low CD4 and VL values