Do I have to use the cocktail treatment?

Dr. I am a HIV person for 6 and a half year. My viral load is 55000 and my CD4 is 500. I've never use any anti-hiv drug. If I want to start using anti-hiv medicine, do I have to use all 3 drugs (AZT, 3TC and Indinaviar)? Is it possible to use only AZT because my CD4 is still high?

Thank you.

It would be unwise to use only one drug. Current guidelines suggest that you should start with 3 drugs. AZT alone will not get your viral load to < 50, and thus will fail in a few months because of resistance. Given your viral load, 3 drugs are recommended and the combination you mention is but one option you could use.

MH

Up to Speed
Viral Load combo theropy