Is 3 and 6 Month (Elisa ) Antibody Testing All I Can Do?

I gave unprotected oral sex involving ejaculation to a man with unknown risk factors. It happened 2 times in March and 1 time in mid-June of 1998. I was tested (Elisa) in July and that was negative. I have to be tested again around Sept to cover the March risks. The AIDS counselor was saying I could be tested 4 months after last risk and still consider that enough coverage for the last possible risk in mid-june..maybe considering fairly low risk.. I thought it was 6 months.???? My main question is..is there another test I can get to help me rule out HIV. Its been 6 weeks since last 1 time risk in June. Please respond. My Elisa was done at an AIDS prevention office. And if you can..whats the percentage that seroconvert after 3 months? Sorry so long..thanks!!!

The standard guidelines call for HIV antibody testing after exposure and again at 3 and 6 months following the exposure, or time 0. HIV-1 antibody tests will pick up >95-98% of patients within the first 3 months after acute infection. Blood plasma HIV-1 viral load tests (not FDA approved for this indication) and cell DNA PCR tests can pick up infection within several days to a couple of weeks after infection.

MH

Conflicting Information Regarding PCR Testing
Ultra Quantitative RNA Test