interested in where information is generated

Dr. Holonday,

The information that you give readers about 6 month testing period, is that information that comes from your PERSONAL experience with HIV infected individuals or is that from CDC and other sources?I am just interested in seeing if your replies are coming from what you have seen and learned through experience or from what is provided by other research studies.If youre answers are coming from CDC,etc. I am curious as to if your personal experience backs these studies up or is conflicting.This window period seems like a everlasting annoying topic, but i can completely understand concern because it is nearly impossible to move on with your life unless you can be sure about your status.Thanks for the service you provide.

I am trying to be consistent with national opinion and guidelines. The CDC website has several pages on testing and does recommend testing out to 6 months. In my personal experience and from trials I have been involved in, all people seroconverted within 3 months.But that also implies you know exactly when the day of exposure is. I have found that may not be the case. Patients will come in (particularly if they have multiple partners) and say I think it was last month or a few weeks ago. Thus to be conservative, we will test longer rather than shorter to be assured of a negative result. MH

a question
WHY DO DOCTOR STILL RECCOMEND ONE YEAR?