The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

interested in where information is generated

Dec 31, 1998

Dr. Holonday,

The information that you give readers about 6 month testing period, is that information that comes from your PERSONAL experience with HIV infected individuals or is that from CDC and other sources?I am just interested in seeing if your replies are coming from what you have seen and learned through experience or from what is provided by other research studies.If youre answers are coming from CDC,etc. I am curious as to if your personal experience backs these studies up or is conflicting.This window period seems like a everlasting annoying topic, but i can completely understand concern because it is nearly impossible to move on with your life unless you can be sure about your status.Thanks for the service you provide.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I am trying to be consistent with national opinion and guidelines. The CDC website has several pages on testing and does recommend testing out to 6 months. In my personal experience and from trials I have been involved in, all people seroconverted within 3 months.But that also implies you know exactly when the day of exposure is. I have found that may not be the case. Patients will come in (particularly if they have multiple partners) and say I think it was last month or a few weeks ago. Thus to be conservative, we will test longer rather than shorter to be assured of a negative result. MH

a question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint