The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can both virus and antibody be undetectable?

Sep 11, 2001

Dear Doctor Holodniy, I really hope that you would answer my question this time-I desperately want to know! On 34 day after a possible exposure, I had a PCR RNA test and a antibody test-the former came out undetectable(<50/ml),and the latter non reactive. But since I started having symptoms 10 days after the incident and the symptoms keep coming and going for a long time (I'm still tired and having different symptoms now after more than 2 months),it makes me wonder: if one is infected, could there be any time, such as 34 days after exposure, or any factor which can make neither the virus nor the antibody to be undetectable? Shouldn't at least one of the two be detected when both tests were used - 34 days maybe a little too early for antibosy test, but shouldn't the PCR pick up the virus? Or, Could it be that the virus was too few to be detected at certain time?

I have another question about the antibody test - because of miscommunication between the doc and the Quest where the tests were done, the antibody test wasn't performed untill 8 days after the apecimen was drawn - can this test be reliable?

THank you so much, doctor!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

As long as samples are handled appropriately (ie frozen) they can sit for months and still be tested effectively.

Re : Low CD4 Absolute but High CD4
PCR Testing

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint