Just tested positive for HIV antigens in blood. Now what?

Hello Dr. Holodniy,

My husband recently had 3 blood tests (two from Red Cross, one from his physician) come back showing positive for HIV antigens in the blood (actually -- and I'm not sure I'm using the correct terminology -- one screen was positive and one was negative, each time the test was given). He had another blood test today called something like "DNA Assay". Two long weeks til results come in. We are both pretty freaked about this. Does the presence of HIV antigens mean AIDS is imminent? what can we expect? please respond. does this mean we should quit our jobs and travel because he's going to pass away soon?

I can't comment specifically on your husbands case, because I am not clear just what specific tests were performed, the exact result of each, why one test was positive and the other negative, or why the tests were performed in the first place. It is not clear yet that HIV infection is present. A PCR HIV DNA assay would be an appropriate test to to rule in or out HIV infection. Any discussion about AIDS is premature. An HIV diagnosis must be confirmed first. MH

Contaminated PCR test
Your expertise please.............. L.G.