Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just tested positive for HIV antigens in blood. Now what?
Jun 30, 1999

Hello Dr. Holodniy,

My husband recently had 3 blood tests (two from Red Cross, one from his physician) come back showing positive for HIV antigens in the blood (actually -- and I'm not sure I'm using the correct terminology -- one screen was positive and one was negative, each time the test was given). He had another blood test today called something like "DNA Assay". Two long weeks til results come in. We are both pretty freaked about this. Does the presence of HIV antigens mean AIDS is imminent? what can we expect? please respond. does this mean we should quit our jobs and travel because he's going to pass away soon?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I can't comment specifically on your husbands case, because I am not clear just what specific tests were performed, the exact result of each, why one test was positive and the other negative, or why the tests were performed in the first place. It is not clear yet that HIV infection is present. A PCR HIV DNA assay would be an appropriate test to to rule in or out HIV infection. Any discussion about AIDS is premature. An HIV diagnosis must be confirmed first. MH

Previous
Contaminated PCR test
Next
Your expertise please.............. L.G.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.