Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PCR/DNA For ME? 90 Days
Aug 31, 1999

Dear Dr. Holodniy Thanks for your honesty and genuine concern... I was a very healthy athletic 36 year old male with a very promising future...I had what is concedered High Risk Exposure (unprotected sex with unknown female, kissing no oral sex) on 5/27/99. I had ELA HIV Antibodies 1-2 and HIV-1 P-24 Antigen conducted one week latter, all test were negitive. I know to early! No Symptoms. At 64 days I had an ELA HIV -1 Antibody conducted with multiple symptoms,(headache, burning sensation on skin "shoulders, neck, arm, hands" with what looks like a rash that developed some time later. You can't hardly see with naked eye, feeling tired, hot flash or flushing) and yes my Dr. is telling me that all of these symptoms could be stress/anxiety related. I was tested for Hepatitis B and C, Syphilis, HTLV, and Gonorrhea. All test were negative at 64 days. At 74 days I had a battery of test conducted again ELA HIV 1-2 and HIV-1 P-24 Antigen and Hep B & C. Had the same symptoms as mentioned above with sever diarrha, I had lost approximately 10 lbs. in two months, loss of appetite. I retested at 90 days (3Months) negative ELA HIV-1 and I have not got the results og the Antigen. At this stage from what I have read the Antigen should be negitive or atleast that is the assumption I am going on. The Antibody at three months is the true indicator, correct? Keep in mind I have not had any fever that I know of, and if I have it had to be very low grade. No swollen or sore lymph nodes until about a week ago. The nodes at my arm pits are sore comes and goes. I had minor night sweats 3 nights out of 90 days. Of course I am stressed out, I have a beautiful wife of 11 years and five wonderful children, and yes I made a big mistake. This was the first time I have had sex with someone other then my wife, and it appears as though it could have been a deadly mistake! I've talked with my Dr. and the CDC and they assured me that if I do have the HIV virus, and if I have passed this to my wife (we had intercourse once in the past 3 months two weeks after my possible exposure) that we could not pass this to our children through casual family contact. I hope their right!Until my six month window comes and goes I would like a piece of mind! 1. Should I request a more sensitive test to rule out HIV infection? 2. Should I request more testing for HIV-2, or other sub types of the virus? 3. Should I feel comfortable with the results of my 90-day results and move on? By the way I actually felt better when I found out that my 3 month antibody test was neg., however I still fell like something is wrong. From what I have read I will take the odds that I'm near the 98-99% bracket and that the six-month test would be just to confirm my 90-day neg test! What should I do???? One last twist to this story, I went to Mexic on business for three days two weeks after my possible exposure. The following week I had diarrhea real bad. The joke around the office was I had Montezuma's Revenge, that trip was strictly business no sex, drugs, or rock and roll!~Do you suppose that or maybe there is a remote possibility that i caught a BUG? The part of Mexica I went to was a brief layover in Mexico City, and Cd. Del Carmen. Thanks in advance Doc for your advice and keep up the great work....

Response from Dr. Holodniy

1. NO 2. No 3. Yes. MH

Previous
HELP!!!!!
Next
Please help,... Negative PCR

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.