Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

night sweats & joint pain
Aug 26, 1998

2 weeks after a possible exposure I developed ARS like symptoms which lasted about 2 weeks (swollen glands, sore throat, chest pain, fever, fatigue) although some symptoms have lasted 4 months now, (muscle and joint pain) I tested negative on Elisa at 6, 12, and 15.5 weeks. I have been told that HIV is very unlikely, because it should have shown up by now. I am still concerned because I have been having night sweats every night for the last 5 days, not drenching but worse than I have ever experienced as well as persistent joint aches especially in hands and feet. I have read that these night sweats can be caused by a high viral load. What is your opinion on the relationship between viral load and night sweats and the fact that I am still testing negative? I have seen my doctor about my symptoms and we are trying to figure out what else I may be suffering from but so far all tests are normal.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

By 15 weeks after exposure, > 99% of people infected with HIV will have a positive antibody test. Viral load tests would be positive as well. A negative viral load test now would rule out HIV infection. There is some relationship between high viral loads and the degree of symptoms. It's good you are working with your doctor on other possibilities.

MH

Previous
WHAT IS THIS?
Next
After Negative PCR RNA - further testing wtih PCR DNA?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.