hiv2+boyfriend, low CD4 counts, very good quality.

Hi doc. Mark. My boyfriend is hiv-1 neg., hiv-2 pos. Using anti hiv-meds since 1997. CD4 counts between 300 and 400. Boyfriend is participating in study of academical hospital (Nartec study, AMC Amsterdam.) The doc had told him all his CD4 cells have a quality of 1700. And that seems to be a maximum. I find info about CD4 COUNTS, but havent seen anything about QUALITY. Where does 1700 refers to? What can be the secret of a good quality? Why good quality but not normal quantity? THANKS!

I am not sure what they are speaking about exactly. We can measure the function of CD4 cells in the laboratory, although this is not a commercially available test. It is likely they have looked at the function of his cells and are expressing this as to the quality of them. MH

Influence on testing
nucleic acid testing