Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mono affect testing?
Oct 12, 1998

Hi doctor,

I tested positive for mononucleosis one month after a possible high risk exposure to hiv. I took an elisa test at 3 months after the date of possible exposure though and it came back negative. My doctor tells me to get on with my life. I continue to have joint pain and very swollen lymph nodes in my neck though. Would the mono commonly cause a delay in the production of antibodies to hiv? Please offer your advice.

thank you

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It is possible, but not likely that EBV or CMV mono would effect the development of antibodies during a simultaneous exposure to HIV. There certainly is precedence for this type of concern. For instance we don't like to vaccinate people (to develop antibodies) at the same time that another infection might be present because the vaccine may not be as effective. If you are still concerned about HIV infection, I would recommend another antibody test in a couple of months. MH

Previous
lymphopenia is not diagnostic!
Next
worried about sores in mouth

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.