Mono affect testing?

Hi doctor,

I tested positive for mononucleosis one month after a possible high risk exposure to hiv. I took an elisa test at 3 months after the date of possible exposure though and it came back negative. My doctor tells me to get on with my life. I continue to have joint pain and very swollen lymph nodes in my neck though. Would the mono commonly cause a delay in the production of antibodies to hiv? Please offer your advice.

thank you

It is possible, but not likely that EBV or CMV mono would effect the development of antibodies during a simultaneous exposure to HIV. There certainly is precedence for this type of concern. For instance we don't like to vaccinate people (to develop antibodies) at the same time that another infection might be present because the vaccine may not be as effective. If you are still concerned about HIV infection, I would recommend another antibody test in a couple of months. MH

lymphopenia is not diagnostic!
worried about sores in mouth