Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

your advice please

Dec 31, 1998

hey, i have a real concern:Suppose a person went through a state where they were having what seemed to be ARS 4 weeks after hetero. encounter. OK,say the person went and was tested 3 months after this illness(whatever it was)then, they were tested again 6 months after this illness and then again at 7 months. If they were actually having real symptoms af ARS would the Elisa not be detecting this by now in your professional opinion?The illness I described consisted of swollen glands in neck, sore throat, chills and fever of about 101 to 102.When this was over (after a bout 4 days) I then developed a sinus infection which I had never had before in my life.It hurt so bad in my face.My main concern now is: i seem to be having symptoms still (such as low grade fevers and some chills although these are without fever most of the time, dry mouth, itching throat(may be allergies), and fatigue and decreased appetite. Now, if i was having ongoing symptoms this long after exposure wouldent you say (or not, please tell me if i am wrong) that Elisa should be pos.?Just remember 3 tests at 3, 6 and 7 months and the ARS (like) illness was in May and last test was in December of same year.(1998) I can understand these situations where (rarely) a person tests negative and they have not yet seroconverted but for a person to have seroconverted and gotten well, then started having other symptoms later would you say that is inconsistent with your reasearch and knowledge or what?what do most people do?Thanks Doc , i really need your advice.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I think you have essentially ruled out HIV infection given the number of tests and timing of tests you have received. It's hard to know what your symptoms are due to. I would continue to work with your physician and explore other possiblities. MH

Previous
Still Worried
Next
is this possible?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.