Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Still Worried

Jan 7, 1999

Dear Dr. Holodniy, I was exposed due to a faulty condom approx 14wks ago. At 9.5 and 11.5 wks I was negative. I after this exposure have a urethral syndrom occur wihin just a few days(4days). No discharge but feeling of uncomfort. I have taken cipro, flagyl, and zithromax treatment -but, still have cloudy urine and discomfort from time to time. I have noew taken the 14wk test and am waiting for the results. Also, at the 12 wk mark I had a sort throat and nausea syndrome that lasted about 7days. i really haven't had any fever or rash. My glans in my legs are now sore. Do you think this urethral discomfort could be related to hiv. I have had urine cultures and am neg for typical std's. Please advise. I know I will know more when the results come in later this wk, but sure would appreciate it if you would comment on the urethral syndrome and cloudy urine and the odds of being positive now and later. I sincerely appreciate your answer and have read your replys to other answers extensively and thank you for your dedication to the people who find themselves with this worry.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The negative tests up to this point are very reassuring. It would be extremely unlikely, though possible to be infected and develop antibodies at this late date. A urethritis after sex is very common and can be caused by a variety of things including bacteria, viruses or yeast or just trauma. The antibiotics you received will cover all of the usual bacterial STDs. HIV by itself doesn't cause this syndrome, but is usually a passenger with other STDs. Your symptoms could also be related to herpes or yeast infections, in which case the bacterial antibiotics will have no effect. MH

Previous
Thrush, but testing negative???
Next
your advice please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.