|HIV-1 vs HIV-2
Sep 8, 2001
As I understand, Home Access only tests for HIV-1. What percentage of people are infected with HIV-2 (or is there even any data on this)? Is the HIV-2 strain rare in the United States and Mexico?
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
The global infection rate with HIV-2 is a fraction of that for HIV-1. It is extremely rare in the US and Mexico.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Hiv Chronic Fatigue
- Will The Hpv Vaccine Help People Who Are Already Infected?
- Will Kids Catch Genital Warts If Parents Have It?
- What's The Difference Between Mouth Herpes And Mouth Blisters?
- What Is The Percentage For Positive Herpes Simplex Type 1?
- What Is A Over The Counter Genital Wart Remover?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.