Dr.'s, do they know what they are doing?

Dr. Holodniy, I was diagnosed last August with full blown AIDS. Since then my Doctor has added drugs to my regimen because of possible drug resistance(no tests have been given though, to confirm). My viral load is peeking again over 30,000(from 6,000) and my cd4's are now up to 150(which they may start to drop , since my viral load is showing an increase). My question to you is this. How can I tell if this Doctor is doing what she can for me? I do not feel like she is doing the "right" thing. I haven't been given a resistance test. She has hadded drugs to my regimen, which I read last night a doctor should NOT do this. I call and she doesn't return my calls to find out my results of lab work. I feel like I am being failed and have started to look into seeing another Doctor. Again, I want to know from you, how does one know, without educating themselves, whether or not a Doctor is doing the "right" thing?

This is a tricky one. I agree with you that in the face of increasing viral load, you need to get to the bottom of why that is happening. I would want to know what level of drug resistance were present, if any, before i would change the regimen. I also would not advocate adding a single additional agent to a failing regimen. How about a second opinion?? MH

viral load vs. infectiousness
alcohol?