The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

viral load/gold standard

Mar 5, 1999

having only taken the antibody hiv1and2 test, I wonder if this is enough. It sounds as if so many people are taking the viral load test to confirm diagnosis. Is this better than the antibody test. Are my husband and myself walking around positive, spreading it to our children blindly? We were tested outside of a six month window period and tested often through our blood donations we give semi-regularly. The reason i ask is that my husband has a gland(size of a pea) behind his elbow. Our MD is taking it out to look at it, although he seems reassured that it is a local infection draining from his finger(nail fungus), not cancer. Well, everything I know about symptoms, does not relieve me. My husband also experienced some pretty bad dandruff earlier this winter that he is controlling with T-Gel shampoo and steriod cream on difficult spots. Do these symptoms alarm you? Can we have multiple negative tests, remain monogomous and still have AIDS. How likely is this situation? I know there are people walking around with no antibodies, yet have AIDS. So reports indicate. The CDC said they have only 2 documented cases that took longer than 6 mos. Anyway, sorry to be one of those obnoxious worried goofs, but damnit, I am!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You do not need further testing. The symptoms and gland swelling your husband has are nonspecific and can be caused by a miriad of things. MH

42 Hour Med Guy - Some More Questions Please!
Psychological Symptoms

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint