The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Allergic to Hiv?

Mar 19, 1999

I have tested negative continuously 24 months after a possible risk (vaginal intercourse w/ person of unknown hiv status). It has been hell and I am still trying to move on with my life with nagging symptoms like a constantly coated tongue with occassional burning and frequent sneezing and excessive nasal mucous. My husband also tested negative and we are trying to get pregnant and therefore do not use condoms or other contracetpives. The problem is that almost immediately after we have intercourse, my mouth and nasal passages act up and I start sneezing and having a runny nose. Then my mouth gets drier than it already is. Prior to the occasion where I risked exposure over two years ago, I never had such a reaction. MY BIG FEAR is that, despite the test results, my husband and I are both infected and my reaction is an allergic reaction to Hiv in his semen. COULD THIS BE POSSIBLE? I have wracked my brains trying to find out what else could be causing such a reaction. It has gotten so bad that I now dread having sex with my husband, who thinks I'm crazy as a result. PLEASE, any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Any other less dreadful theories?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You do not have HIV infection based on the info about testing you have provided. Some women have indeed developed an allergic reaction to some of the proteins in semen. I would have your husband try wearing a condom the next few times and see if your symptoms don't improve if not disappear. MH

Hidden Reservoirs
HIV symptoms but HIV-negative

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint