Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Herpes and chronic sinus
Mar 26, 1999

Hi Doc I have written before about this but I am still worried. My herpes labialis is not painful at all and still confined to 3 small patches of small grainy vesicles on the inside of cheeks and lip corners for the last 25 days. In addition I have a chronic swelling (20 days) on upper either side of the nose which though it doesnt pain produces a kind of tightness which does temporarily respond to ibuprofen. Is this sinus related? Do the above symptoms together with small mouth ulcers and a bad throat about 2 months ago consitute classic HIV symptoms? I have not had any fever rash or lymphadenopathy and tested negative ELISA at 3 months after a shaving razor related exposure but the above cluster of symptoms have me worried. Does age or arthritis have anything to do with slow seroconversion as I am about 40 years old and slightly arthritic. Do I need to test again as I read somewhere that herpes labialis of more than 2 weeks is a definitive symptom of immume suppresion. Could you suggest any other possible condition which could produce the above symptoms as my doctor is stumped.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I couldn't remember whether these lesions have been cultured and confirmed to be herpes simplex or not. If they are truly herpes related, have you received any anti-herpes therapy for them? If they are truly herpes, 20 days of lesions would be unusual. Your symptoms are nonspecific. given your negative HIV tests to date, these symptoms alone are not consistent with HIV infection. At 40, you would not have slow seroconversion. MH

Previous
Unusual Symptoms
Next
Waiting for opportunistic infection!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.